have you ever ask yourself about what holds you back in terms of traveling?
when you ask people this question the most common answer is :
This is something you can hear from anyone; “I can’t travel cause I don’t have money” “If I’d money, I would go to…” but let me remind you, you don’t need you be rich to travel ! and that my friend is a fact. you can go to amazing places and have dream vacations cheaply.
There are so many ways to travel around the world even when you have no money for it, you just need a little bit of creativity.
I know some of you might be thinking: traveling cheap? no way! but nowadays is not a distant dream, you can do it without compromising your expenses. So here’s a guide for you to get the vacation you’ve been waiting for…
There are two ways to travel when you don’t have a big budget, first one is traveling in a cheap way, taking advantage of apps and websites that save you money, so you can lower your expenses while doing what you want to do. And the other ways is, traveling for free , this mean taking advantage of free accommodation, transportation and activities that will reduce your cost to zero. of course, you will have to give up comfort and luxury but who really care when you are going when you want to go?
So if travel is your priority the money won’t be a problem, you can make it happen.
How to travel for cheap
1. Teach English overseas
one of the best ways to travel is teaching English overseas, all you need is the ability to speak English fluently and maybe a TEFL degree depending the country you work in. there are plenty of countries that need people who teach English you if you know the language it can be a great opportunity for you to travel. you can get a lot of money by teaching English. Besides, there some websites or companies that let you teach online; So you can get some money from your house to travel; Only need a computer and Wifi connection, then you’ll be all set.
2. Get a Job overseas
there are plenty of opportunities in the world to get a job; This is definitely a good way to make some money for travel.
here are some of the options you can look up
- Au Pair – An Au Pair is a live-in nanny that helps a host family by taking care of their children. in exchange you get free room, food and a small salary. This is a cheap way to travel and learn a new language and culture.
- Bartender – if you have the skills required to be a bartender, will be easy for you to get a job overseas.
- Hostel worker – this is a good way to meet new travelers and places. the hostel workers don’t stick for so long in the same place, which means there is always need for help.
- Waitress/Waiter – you can find a lot of restaurants that need help during the busy month all around the world
- Farm worker – this is a great way to make money if you don’t mind the hard work: (This job is popular in Australia and New Zealand)
- Dive instructor (some certificated required) – this is a good way to travel with and get some money as Dive instructors are required everywhere; So if you have the certification go for it.
- Tourguide – If you don’t have problems speaking in front of big groups and love history maybe this job is for you.
- Cruise ship worker – This is a more formal position and the hours are long but is a great way to travel.
- Casino worker – this is a great opportunity to get money if you don’t have any problems with the casino scene. Besides, is a fun job to work at.
- Seasonal worker at ski resorts – ski resorts need all sorts of staff, like instructors, restaurant staff, hotel staff, lifeguard. What a good way to get some cash!
- Yacht worker – you can make great money working for the rich and famous on their yachts
3. Do WWOOFing and Work on a Farm
World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms it is a platform that let you work that allows you to work in exchange for room and food. You have to pay to get to the farm, but once you get there everything else is covered.this is a cheap way to travel and learn about different cultures
4. Sharing Economy
you can use sharing economy to find cheaper accommodation, tour guides, rideshare options, and home- cooked meals with local chefs. this way of travel have changed the game and made it more accessible for people.
here are some of the websites you can use
5. Sleep in large rooms
this is the cheaper way to get a room in a hostel. the bigger the dorm, the cheaper it will be. there are dorms with 4-6 beds to 16-18 beds so you have different options according to your preferences.
6. Cook your own meal
It will be a lot cheaper if you cook your own meal, you’re going to save a lot. there’s a big difference between a 15 dollars meal than if you buy the food for the week and cook what you like.
7. Buy Rail passes
Rail passes will help you to save money if your thinking to travel by train, if you are going to be in that place for a while Rail passes are way cheaper than an individual ticket. You can actually get the tickets ahead of time and save 50% of the cost of a train ticket.
8. Use City Tourist Cards
if you plan is to do sighting in the city you should buy a tourist card, this is going to save you a lot of money; Due to the cards offer you big discounts or even free access to big attractions, museums and public transportation. you can ask for them at the local tourism office; They can help answering all you questions too.
9. You can sell your services
if you need some cash during your trip you can visit different websites like
Craigslist, TaskRabbit, Upwork, or Gumtree; Where you can find people who need extra help doing some chores around the house and you can get paid for help them. Additionally, if you have any skills you can offer it to others travelers, you can even teach your language!
How to travel for free
Here some ideas that can help you travel for free…
1. Stay for free
there some apps that are connecting travelers with locals who are willing to give you free accommodation at their home, this can save you TONS of money due yo don’t have to pay for a room, and let’s be real, accommodation is what takes most of your money during a trip. you not always gonna get a room, sometimes can be a couch or an air mattress, but it´s always FREE!
you can find not only place to stay with these services, but share rides, meals, train tickets, gear, and much more! here are some of the websites you can use for free accommodation.
2. Take free walking tours
if you are interesting in knowing a lot about the city, you definitely should take one of the free walking tours that many cities offer! you can find them in the major cities in Europe, Asian cities, New York, South America, New Zealand and Australia. you can find these tours googling ” Free walking tour (city name), at the local tourist office or simply asking the hotel staff the usually know. Just don’t forget to tip at the end!
you can find some websites where people are looking for someone who watch their places while they are gone. You can sing up for one of the websites I will share with you down below, so you get to watch some people’s places or pets letting you stay for free in one destination.
with a little of creativity and patience is easy to travel around the world for free or very cheap! you just have to get out of your mindset and comfort zone and get ready for new adventures!!